Earthquake Web Quest
Each answer should be a minimum of 3-4 complete sentences. Please put into your own words. Include all important vocabulary.
1. What is an earthquake?
2. What causes earthquakes and where do they happen?
3. Why does the earth shake when there is an earthquake?
4. How are earthquakes recorded?
5. How do scientists measure the size of earthquakes?
6. Describe P waves.
7. Describe S waves.
8. How can scientists tell where the earthquake happened?
9. Can scientists predict earthquakes?
Geography4Kids WebQuest Earthquakes
- What happens when two plates meet?
- Describe folding:
- Describe faulting:
- What are dip slips?
What does your textbook call dip slips?
- What is a strike slip?
- What causes earthquakes?
- What can earthquakes do to change the landscape?
- Why can we feel earthquakes hundreds of miles away?
- Now take the quiz on earthquakes.
1. Using the world map, where do you see the most earthquakes?
2. Where and when was the most recent earthquake? What was its magnitude?
3. Now click on the US map. where do you see the most earthquakes?
4. Where and when was the most recent earthquake? What was its magnitude?